Homeowner FAQs

Please see below for questions we often get asked. 
Please contact us if you cannot find the answer you're looking for.

What is a leaseholder?

A leaseholder is anyone who owns all or part of their property under a lease agreement.

This can be:
• Shared owners
• Purchasers of flats under the Right to Buy or Right to Acquire schemes
• Shared owners who've bought 100% of the shares in their flat.

Can you buy some or all of my share back from me?

In some cases we can consider buying back some of your shares. The minimum share you can own is 25%.
We're unable to buy back all of your shares and allow you to live in the property as a tenant.

If I own all 100% of my property, do I have to sell to another shared owner?

No, you can sell the property to anyone through an estate agent.

Can I sublet my property?

If you're a shared owner, under the terms of your lease you're not permitted to sublet your property. However, in exceptional circumstances AmicusHorizon may give permission.

If you own 100% of your property you don't need our permission to sublet. However, please give us a correspondence address. Otherwise all communication will continue to be sent to the property and you may miss important documents.

In either case you'll also need your mortgage lenders consent.

Who services my gas boiler?

Usually, you're responsible for the gas servicing of your boiler and other gas appliances.

If in doubt, please check your lease or contact us.

What repairs am I responsible for?

Usually leaseholders and shared owners are responsible for all internal repairs to their home. This includes items such as the glass in the windows and the window handles and locks.

Am I responsible for buildings insurance?

We’re responsible for the buildings insurance unless you own the freehold of your home. In this case you must arrange your own buildings insurance. Read our buildings insurance policy here to see your summary of cover. 

You are always responsible for arranging contents insurance.


Am I responsible for contents insurance?

Yes. It’s really important that you insure the contents of your home against theft, fire, flood or other damage.
My Home is a special contents insurance scheme run by Thistle Tenant Risks. 

It has been developed with the National Housing Federation especially for tenants and leaseholders.

Click here for more information about contents insurance.

Can I take in a lodger?

Yes, assuming you'll also be living in the property. You're responsible for them and their conduct.

You must make sure they keep to the conditions of your lease.

Can I carry out home improvements?

Generally, yes.

Minor works, such as putting up shelves or decorating, can be done without letting us know.
However, if you plan to carry out major works, such as double glazing, replacing the kitchen/bathroom, taking down or putting up a wall or building an extension, then you'll need written permission from us.

If you're doing structural work to your home we'll need copies of the plans. You should also write to us and confirm the work will be carried out by a reputable builder and will meet all necessary building regulations and planning requirements.

We do charge an administration fee for consents. The fee varies depending on the type of work you're proposing. You'll be advised of the cost of consent when you apply.

Can I keep pets?

Your lease will tell you if you can keep pets in your home.  If you live in a house there aren't usually any restrictions.  If you live in a flat you're unlikely to be able to keep a pet loose in the property.  Small pets which live in an enclosed cage or tank may be allowed upon request.  Occasionally we may allow flat owners to keep a cat or dog upon written request.

If we give you permission to keep a pet you must make sure it doesn't cause a nuisance to your neighbours. We reserve the right to withdraw our permission at any time. If you already have a pet and are considering shared ownership, please contact us to check the specific requirements for your chosen property.

What are my repair responsibilities?

If you live in a leasehold flat or apartment you’re responsible for all repairs to the inside of your property.

This includes repairs to:
• Central heating, water heaters and fitted fires
• Sockets switches and light fittings
• Baths, sinks, toilets and cisterns
• Drains and waste pipes.

What are your repair responsibilities?

We or another managing agent are responsible for:
• Communal doors and entrances, halls, lifts and other communal areas
• External repairs and painting of the exterior of the flat or apartment block and any communal areas on a set cycle.

Use MyAccount to report a repair to the structure of the building or a communal area (internal or external).

What should I do if a leaseholder dies?

The loss of a loved one is a very distressing time. And selling or transferring a property after someone has died can be a very slow and frustrating process. We’ll try to minimise the distress for you and support you all the way.

Our useful guide can help answer some of your questions and give you practical advice.

Who is responsible for dealing with water leaks?

Water leaks can cause a great deal of damage and should be treated as quickly as possible.

Our useful guide explains the responsibilities of leaseholders, shared owners and freeholders for dealing with water leaks.

Who is responsible for repairing and replacing fences?

Fence repairs and replacements can cause tension between neighbours. Read our useful guide to fences and boundaries for more information.

Do I need consent for a loft conversion?

If you’re thinking of expanding your flat with a loft conversion you’ll need to get consent from us before you start the work.

As a leaseholder you’ll need to obtain all the legal rights and consents you need from the freeholder (AmicusHorizon or other) before embarking on the expensive process of conversion.

Our guide to loft conversions in leasehold flats will help you through the process.