Antisocial behaviour (ASB)

We take anti-social behaviour very seriously as we know it can affect your quality of life. We're here to help.

What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour comes in lots of forms. It can range from everyday incidents such as noise nuisance to serious criminal acts. The types of behaviour we consider anti-social include (but aren’t limited to):

  • Intimidation and harassment
  • Domestic abuse
  • Violence or threats of violence
  • Rowdy behaviour and drunkenness
  • Pet nuisance/uncontrolled animals
  • Dealing or taking drugs
  • Graffiti
  • Damage to property
  • Dumping rubbish (fly tipping)
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Noise nuisance: e.g. loud music, shouting.

What isn’t anti-social behaviour?

  • Babies crying
  • Cooking odours
  • One off parties/BBQ where there’s no evidence problems will occur
  • Normal behaviour occurring at unusual times because of different working patterns provided the resident is attempting to keep disturbance to a minimum
  • Clash of lifestyles including cultural differences
  • Children’s play
  • Noise transference due to poor sound insulation
  • Bonfires.

Reporting anti-social behaviour

Please tell us immediately if you or a neighbour are suffering from anti-social behaviour. You can report incidents via MyAccount or email us. If you prefer, you can speak to us over the phone or in person at our local offices. Alternatively, you can record recent Anti-social Behaviour incidents on our ASB Incident Diary. Once you have completed your Incident Diary, please send us a copy to Contact us and a member of our Customer Service team will soon get in touch.

Reported incidents will be dealt with promptly by your Housing Officer or a member of our Anti-social Behaviour Team. They’re trained to help and find a way forward.

Noise Nuisance

Taking steps to resolve the issue

Noise nuisance from your neighbours can be frustrating but often the person causing the issue is unaware of the impact their behaviour is having.

What you can do

The first step when dealing with noise nuisance is to politely let your neighbour know about the noise. Use our noise nuisance postcard which can be downloaded, printed and sent to them. It can be used to politely contact your neighbour to make them aware of the issue. Hopefully a friendly approach will be all it needs to resolve things. If a polite approach doesn’t work or you don’t feel it’s appropriate you need to contact us.

Reporting noise nuisance to us

Please contact us in the first instance to report noise nuisance. We may ask you to complete two weeks of diary sheets (further details below), which will see you make a note of the noise and what time it occurs.

In addition, if you’ve a smart phone/tablet you can download ‘the Noise App’. The Noise App is an easy way to record noise that’s causing an annoyance. It works on Android and iPhone/iPads. Please follow these links for guidance on using the app: Public Information and App user guide

Once you’ve gathered this information please contact our Anti-social Behaviour Team.  We’ll review the evidence and confirm our findings to you. If there’s a need for further action we’ll open an anti-social behaviour case.


Reporting drug dealing

All drug activity should be reported to the police on 101 or anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. We’re unable to act on reports of drug dealing, this is a matter for the police to investigate and we’d only take tenancy action following police charges.

If you want to report cannabis use by neighbours, please complete two weeks’ of diary sheets, noting the times you believe this has occurred. You’ll also need to include the crime reference number from the Police.
We’ll then review the diary sheets and a decision will be made as to whether action is required; you’ll be advised of our decision.

Resolving issues of anti-social behaviour

When you report anti-social behaviour to us, we’ll open a case and agree actions with you. It’s very important you follow up on these actions as they help us take the case further. If you don’t do this and we’re unable to progress, we may have to close the case.

Keeping diary sheets

Keeping diary sheets for at least two weeks is a good way for you to explain, in your own words, about the incidents you’re experiencing and how they’re affecting you.

Diary sheets can be very important in helping us resolve an anti-social behaviour case. We use them as evidence of the incidents and should we need to take legal action, we’re able to exhibit them in court. The judge is then able to read about the anti-social behaviour and how it’s impacting on your life. 


Mediation can be a good way of resolving disputes without the need to go to court. It involves an independent third party - a mediator - who helps both sides come to an agreement. If mediation is appropriate to help resolve your anti-social behaviour case, we’ll expect you to take part before we progress with further action. If you agree to mediation and fail to engage, we’ll close your  anti-social behaviour case.

Partnership working

We work with these local partners to tackle anti-social behaviour and make communities safer:

  • Local Police
  • Community and voluntary agencies (e.g. Drug Action Teams, youth agencies, support groups, mediation services, as well as Black and Minority Ethnic or Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender groups)
  • Residents’ groups / local action teams
  • Local Authorities
  • Youth Offending Teams
  • Other landlords on multi-landlord estates 
  • Community Safety Partnerships (CSPs)
  • Social Services
  • Neighbourhood Watch Schemes.