Universal Credit FAQ's

When will Universal Credit start?

Universal Credit is being gradually rolled out nationally to different areas.

To begin, Universal Credit will only be available to those who are single, unemployed and have no children.

I am used to receiving my benefits weekly rather than monthly. Can I change this?

Universal Credit will be paid to you monthly. You will need to manage your finances on a monthly basis when receiving Universal Credit.

We have a range of tips and advice on managing your money from setting up a budget planner to money saving tips on our website.

What benefits are excluded from Universal Credit?

The following benefits are not included within Universal Credit payments:

• Disability Living Allowance
• Child Benefit
• Contribution-Based Jobseekers Allowance
• Contributory Employment and Support Allowance
• Statutory Sick Pay
• Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
• Council Tax Benefit
• Bereavement Benefits
• Carers Allowance
• Statutory Maternity Pay and Maternity Allowance

Will I need to do anything in return for receiving Universal Credit?

When you're claiming Universal Credit, you will need to accept a condition called 'Claimant Commitment'.

This is an agreement you accept which will list your responsibilities for receiving Universal Credit, for example searching for employment.

You might find that your payments are reduced or stopped if you don't meet the agreements you have made.

Both my partner and I live together and receive benefits - Will we receive two payments of Universal Credit?

Universal Credit will be paid as one single payment for your household. If you're a couple, this payment will be made as one.

You and your partner will need to manage your money together and decide which account the payment goes into or whether the payment is sent to a joint account.